Going to Court

If you have 9 penalty points or more, or the speed was excessively high you may receive a summons to attend court rather than a fixed penalty notice.

Your initial appearance at court will be to enter a plea – whether you plead guilty or not guilty to the charge. Julian can help you avoid this first appearance and the associated costs of returning to the court in the area where the alleged incident occurred, by writing to the court on your behalf. If you plead ‘not guilty’ then the prosecution must send you all the evidence that they intend to present at the court case. Julian can help you go through this evidence to see if there is a fault or loophole in the prosecution’s case.

Magistrates must be satisfied that the prosecution has proven beyond reasonable doubt that you committed the offence otherwise an acquittal is their only option. If you receive a summons then you need help from a motoring lawyer – from advice before the court to presenting the defence on your behalf. Representing yourself in court is very stressful for a layman and without extensive knowledge of motoring law may not produce the results that your case deserves.


Julian Harris


T. 07714 302 072

Email. office@speedingbarrister.co.uk